If you are having trouble getting your staff to fill in and submit their timesheets they may need a little motivation. Many employers can get nervous when they hear the word motivation, as they believe it directly links to bonuses and pay rises. This is not always the case.
Here are some effective tips we found to motivate staff and get those important time sheets filled in and submitted on time:
- Don’t leave them waiting: you may be waiting for your staff to fill in their time sheets but are they waiting for you too? Ensure that you respond to any staff requests in a timely manner. If you do not keep them waiting, they wont keep you waiting either.
- Thank them: Every staff member who completes and submits their time sheets should get a personal thank you. If you are unable to thank them face-to-face then consider a personalized email, or even better, a hand written note.
- Timesheet lottery: You know what they say; you have got to be in it to win it. All members of staff who hand in their timesheets within a certain deadline will be automatically entered into the timesheet lottery. This means one big prize can be won monthly, but make sure the prize is a good one. Weekends away, an extra week of vacation time, a cash bonus, VIP tickets to an event, etc.
- Give them what they really want. We found this great video from Brazilian digital firm J. Walter Thomas where they filled a fridge with beer and treats. The treats are for all of the staff, but will only unlock once all the timesheets are submitted.
If free beer does not fit in with your company culture there are many other treats you can offer your employees, which get them exited about handing in timesheets at the end of the week:
- Cupcakes and pastries
- Free lunch on Fridays
- Getting off work an hour early for the weekend
- Casual dress day
- An extra break